Michelle and I both have our strengths in the kitchen, but without question, the "Ruler of the Risotto" in our house is Michelle. It was one of the first dishes she made me when we were dating, and well 11+ years later, here we are.
Thanks to Covid-19 and the stay at home/shelter in place/self-quarantine vibe we had some extra time on our hands. We got a request for Leaf and Stone Apothecary here in Wichita to blog about one of our favorite dishes and shoot an instructional video so you can make it at home.
So, let's make a Sausage, Pumpkin, Sage Risotto
Pumpkin & Sausage Risotto
48 oz chicken broth
1/2 lb loose sausage
1 medium onion
1 cup Arborio rice
1/4 c white wine
1 tbsp of fresh sage sliced into small pieces
1 cup 100% pumpkin puree
Parmesan for topping
1. Heat broth to a boil, then turn down to low.
2. Brown the sausage in a pan until fully cooked and crumbled. Set aside to drain.
3. Chop onion and saute in oil until almost translucent.
4. Then add 1 cup aborio to pan with onion and toast, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add 1/4 wine, it will steam and splatter a bit, stir until it's gone. Add broth to the rice a ladle full at a time (1/2 cup), stirring with each addition, until the broth is cooked in, continue adding and stirring until the broth is gone, or the rice feels Al dente when tasted.
6. When it is done, stir in the pumpkin and sage to thoroughly incorporate.
7. Add sausage and leave on heat just a minute or two longer, to heat the sausage through.
8. Plate and serve with generous grate of fresh Parmesan.